Sunday, March 1, 2015

Macbeth: Extra Credit

On Saturday, February 28, 2015, I went to see Macbeth.  When the play started, I was a little bit confused about what was going on. Everyone was laying on the floor as if they were dead, even though they weren't.  I saw two boys and a girl in very dark, creepy costumes that were walking around the bodies. I later realized they were witches. The actors who played those parts did really well and they acted so scary, evil and were really creepy, which is how they were supposed to act! They were witches after all! I also noticed that the  play got darker and darker as time went on.

I did enjoy the play very much and loved the action with the sword fighting. Even though the play was dark and scary it did have some funny, comedic scenes as well. Before today, I've never seen the play nor did I know what it was about. I figured it didn't matter because the actors tell the story through their emotions and actions. I felt very confused and I didnt' understand every scene. The actors had to talk with Scottish accents since the play was set in Scotland. I felt that this made it confusing and hard to understand. What made it worse was that it was set during the Renaissance so the vocabulary and grammar were different using words such as "thou" a lot. However, the actors were just doing their job and they couldn't have acted any better. They put all of their effort into it.

The actor that played the main character did such a good job, especially Chloe Ivey, she really put a lot of hard work into her emotions. I really felt like I was in Scotland during Renaissance period.  I was surprised by Eli Stiewing because I didn't know he could act so well. In the play, he died and became an evil spirit. He transformed from a good, obedient, brave knight into a scary, strong evil spirit. Those characters differed, but he played those parts so well. I also give credit to the stage crew who did an awesome job with the lighting, sound etc.

I can definitely say that although the play was a little bit confusing, I did not regret going at all. The cast was amazing! I'm glad I could go watch and support all of my friends who were in the play.  I can't wait to see what play they do next, because I will definitely like to go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment