Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Catcher In The Rye Summer Reading Response

In the book, The Catcher in the Rye, the main character, Holden Caulfield, has just found out that he has failed his semester in college which means that he will be kicked out of the school once it is over. Knowing this, Holden goes to New York City to have a good time until his parents receive his letter on the upcoming Wednesday saying that he will no longer be attending school.

Holden is a very odd, but interesting character.  I believe that something was bothering Holden throughout the entire story, although I never knew exactly what it was.  I just knew that there was something bothering him. Holden does some pretty weird stuff and makes stupid decisions.  I think that Holden just wants the good side of life and is trying to ignore the bad side.

One part of the book that shows that Holden wants the good side of life is when Holden takes the elevator to his suite in the hotel and the elevator guy Maurice offers him to spend time with a prostitute. Once she comes to his suite, Holden doesn't want to do anything except talk. Once she finally agrees to just talk, Holden starts asking her a personal question like where she is from. He wants to get to know her and her life and not do anything else, but he still pays her. I did find that kind of nice and it shows that he wears his heart on his sleeve. Sadly, he gets the bad part of life because even though he paid her, he didn't pay her the price she was claiming it cost to be with her. Maurice had lied and said to Holden that it was five bucks to be with her even thought it was ten. She leaves and then comes back moments later with Maurice who beats up Holden while Sunny the prostitute gets another 5 dollars.

Another part of the story that shows that Holden wants the good side of life is when he is on his date with Sally. Sally is a girl that Holden has known for quite a while. Towards the end of the date when Sally and Holden are having drinks, Holden starts to talk crazy to Sally about how he wants to run away with her to go live in a cabin in the beautiful outdoors and forget about how bad the real outside world is. Of course, Sally says that's crazy. Holden then says shes a pain in the butt. She gets mad and leaves him.

Lastly, towards the end of the book, Holden decides to sneak into his parents apartment and goes to see his little sister Pheobe. Once he arrives, he quietly goes to his sister's room and wakes her up. Once she awakes, she gives Holden a hug. They ask each other questions and have a huge conversation with each other. Holden mentions while talking with her that he pictures himself in a dream of his about how there are a thousand little kids playing in a big field of rye and there are no teenagers or adults besides himself. If any kids go towards the cliff where they can get killed, or fatally injured, he catches them before they fall. That is all he wants to do with his life.  He wants to be the catcher in the rye. He admits its crazy, but he wants it to be real. While I find it crazy myself, I also think it's nice and heroic.

Overall, this is what I had been talkng about earlier. Holden wants only the good side of life and not the bad side. Realistically, most of us know that's not how life goes. You need the bad side or else you won't know what is the good side of life. This book was different than most I have read because it was very quirky. At first, I did not think I would like the book, but the more I read, I started to enjoy and love the book. This was one of the best and all time favorite books I have yet read. I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you explane the main characters feelings threw out the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the review. I think you did good explaining the characters feelings throughout the book review. I also like how you put your own thoughts into the review as well

    ReplyDelete